Wednesday, August 15, 2007

How Do People Pronounce Your Name?

I was talking to one of my mom's colleagues over the weekend. They had come from naija for a conference or something of the sort. We got to talking about how non-Nigerians pronounce our names and how we react to it. Then she said something I wouldn't have thought of...She said that many Nigerians pronounce their names wrongly when introducing themselves to other people. You know how people funkify or fonerize names so they almost sound like something out of a dictionary. hehe..there's no way your long ass name is gonna sound like an English word so QUIT!
While some people do it to be 'cool' other say they do it to make their names easier to pronounce. Truth is...I don't see Michael calling himself "MAI_KEL" to make it easier for someone else to pronounce so why do we have to be the ones butchering our own names? Let me know your thoughts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On to other things....I CANNOT LIVE IN HOUSTON O. Chai! I was there for 4 days or so and damn was it hot! I woulda thought I was in Yola or something if they didn't remind me. Ok, I just had to say that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a lot going on in my life and head that I am trying to clear up/figure out so I may not be as consistent with my posts.

Hope all is well
SA

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lmao.. babe if no be one thing one thing i would've sworn that you were listening in to a conversation that i was having today oh... ABOUT THE EXACT SAME THING! i think i do that.. my names english but i have naija friends that i call the 'fone' version of their names cos i've goten so used to the way white ppl call em... and even they get used to it and bcos they figure the other ppl will pronouce it that way anyways.. they just make life simpler... how you doing gorgeous.. its been a while

Anonymous said...

holy potatoes... who is that jewish makossa singer on your player? chai babe you for warn me oh... cos for the first 2 lines i was actually trying to understand...

Chronicles of a Naija Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chronicles of a Naija Lady said...

Is it Portuguese?