Sunday, July 22, 2007

Life's Changes & Uncharted Maps

A lot has changed in the past 2 months since I graduated and some of my closest friends have moved far far away and its beginning to sink in...my life as i have known in over the past 4 years is about to change. I expect to move within the next month to a destination that's unknown to me right now. Thats life, right?
My main crew has totally dissolved o, I just realized that I dont remember EVER going out to the bars/clubs in this town without one of my former roomates. She was ALWAYS up for a good time! ALWAYS. I am so gonna miss the way we HYPE up the parties. Everyone knows, once we're there, its a wrap! I wonder how in the world I am going to keep up with the lastest moves and songs without you all. You ladies brought out the crazy/fun Sapphire that I always knew existed! lol. Ladies, I love you with all my heart and I wish you well. There's so much potential, so much for us to accomplish. You each have unique paths, different dreams that highlight your personalities.

The way I feel now is similar to how I felt when I went to back Naija in December and realized that so much of my life would never be the same again. I tried to explain it to my friends but I couldnt quite describe it. I still cant. The note below was written my a friend of mine but it totally explains it! No words needed!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNCHARTED MAPS



Uncharted maps were beginnings of endings and the picture of a journey.
The heavy paper shows the point of origin and the unpathed lands of another continent.
That unknown area, being the destination, is only an idea.
The paths found and the paths secretly followed and the deep occurrences of night are never charted.
The things made of lines and dots and keys on a map hold little significance except to be landmarks of different journeys.
We use cities and roads but as a reference point.

Memory remembers many uncharted things.
Half way between two roads may be a particular stream.
In this mess of streets is certain house.
On this curving set of highway was the car crash.
Between these wrinkles you met a particular person.
Driving through here we had this conversation.
On this corner was a coffee shop where the world passed us by.
There’s a hospital in this direction that held too many anxious moments.
This block use to be different and it’s where I grew up.
Here’s my church. Here’s my school. Here my childhood home.

Spin the map and show me where your heart is.
Bring it closer and show me the street you were on when everything changed.
Find the road; do you remember the sunrise? Find me the valley and show me the stars.

Show me where you are now. Show me where you wish you were. Is the distance so far? Put your fingers on the map and hold between them the distance.
They are but inches between your two fingers.
But I know that the soul measures distances not in miles and minutes but in tears and millions of thoughts; not in the days to travel but in days kept a part; and memory determines distance by what we are now compared to what we use to be.

These are our uncharted maps holding places that have been our destination with landmarks and crossroads impossible to mark and impossible to forget.

6 comments:

Admin UD said...

Good friends are always a treasure to have. Pity we all lose some along the way

temmy tayo said...

U can never understimate the power of a good friend.

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww.... that is sooo cute but sad... i know how you feel though

Vera Ezimora said...

Update!!

Anonymous said...

wow!i know that feeling of leaving what you know for the unknown and then u suddenly realise things will never be the same again!all ur friends are scattered and u guys will never be the same clique again!but hey such is life o!the good memories will carry you!

SapphireAster said...

Ugo & Temmy..i know o..tell me about it
ONB, good to have someone that feels me o
Vera...is that the only comment you always have? anyways now that you have my attention, I know you are back
P-S...you're so right. My life is about to change. Oh Lawd!